Tooth decay is caused by consuming sugary foods and drinks. To prevent tooth decay, limit your intake of sugary foods and drinks, and brush your teeth after eating. Plaque is a bacteria found on the teeth that thrive on food sugars. Plaque uses sugar to produce acids that destroy the tooth’s enamel. Over time, the tooth will decay and ultimately result in cavities. To prevent tooth decay and cavities, the American Dental Association recommends to limit your intake of the following foods and drinks:
- Carbs such as bread, pasta, and chips
- Chewy and sticky foods like raisins, granola bars and honey
- Sugary snacks such as cookies
- Carbonated Soft drinks including diet drinks
- Sports drinks
- Fruit and vegetable juice
To maintain dental health, visit Dr. Gibbs regularly for checkups, cleaning, and treatment of cavities.