Emergency Dentist in Glen Ellyn – Wheaton IL
Dental emergencies can happen to anyone and anytime—we understand your time and discomfort! We have a 24 Hr. dental emergency contact phone number. For patients of record a prescription can sometimes be called to your pharmacist, a referral given, or an appointment scheduled to alleviate the pain. We make every attempt to get emergency patients the same day they call the office!
Tooth Pain, Emergency Dentistry, & Toothache Relief
We also understand that dental emergencies come in many different types. Some examples of dental emergencies are:
1. Acute pain, swelling, or fever — this often indicates a dental infection. We will have you in as soon as possible and determine if the tooth requires a tooth extraction (hopefully not!), a root canal, is a gum (periodontal) infection, or something else. Our goal is to get you comfortable as quickly as possible!
2. Broken teeth — if there is no swelling or pain you can usually wait until the office opens. If the tooth is sharp to the tongue you can sometimes put some soft wax over the sharp area until you get into the office.
3. If the fracture is an “esthetic emergency” again call and we usually get you in the same day. We wouldn’t want you to wait long and we understand that this too is an emergency!
4. Tooth extractions — these are obviously no one’s favorite but sometimes they are needed if the decay or fracture leaves the tooth unable to be restored with dental crowns or root canals.
5. Tooth avulsion (or tooth “knocked out) — Very gently rinse the tooth (don’t rub it or scrub it!) and place it in a glass of cold milk. Bring it to the office and sometimes we can re-implant it. This must be done quickly!
6. Swollen gums — can indicate a gum, or periodontal infection. This can be as easy as (something caught” in the gums requiring removal) or gum disease. Again—we try to get you in the same day you contact us!
7. Wisdom teeth — these may need a tooth extraction but sometimes it may only be a gum infection or tooth infection and they be saved.
8. Tooth decay and “rotten teeth” – often the decay process can get to the point where the teeth become sensitive to touch or sharp to the tongue or cheek. Call right away–sometimes we can minimally place a sedative filling and get you comfortable fast!
9. Broken or fractured dentures — these can usually be repaired in the office on the same day but obviously we cannot promise this depending on the particular case.
Bad Teeth or Broken Tooth in Glen Ellyn DuPage County—Making Care Affordable and Nearly “Pain-Free”
Yes—It’s easy to get behind in your dental visits. Keep a few things in mind:
- Don’t ever feel embarrassed by your bad teeth, rotten teeth, or having dental emergencies. At SmileGlenEllyn in Glen Ellyn we see many people who are years behind in dental care and we’ll never make you feel bad about waiting too long!
- There are ways to finance your dental care to make it affordable. Our staff is experts in finding ways to help all patients get the care they need!
- It’s unfortunately not possible to make dental care “painless.” We certainly do have many ways to make the care comfortable, and in advanced cases we can even use dental sedation, gas, wand syringless numbing, or any of our other “Comfort Options” on our page.
- There may be several options available to repair the rotten, broken, and “neglected” teeth. Sometimes we can even break up your care into phases to make it more affordable without compromising the quality of care.
- We can work with your insurance to maximize the benefits due to you.
As always—feel comfortable to ask us any questions. Sometimes we can even get in you in for a consultation if you have particular concerns!
Also (very important for some patients) if you are fearful of the dentist you may want to view our Patient Comfort Options and the Dental Comfort sections so you can have the most comfortable visit possible!